The Fishbone Diagram is a very powerful tool used in process improvement. It helps identify the cause and the effect, and sometimes a condition is established. Some of the reasons why this tools is effective because it:
– Study a problem/Issue to determine the root cause
– Study the potential reasons why a process/ product is having difficulties, problems, breakdowns, and failure
– Identify area for data and information facts collections
– To evaluate why a process is not performing properly or producing the desired results.
– It allow the team to capture everyone’s ideas & thoughts in a structured manner.
If you would like a copy of the diagram to use for your business, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I have it in a Word format as well.
Courtesy of Albany Technical College: Quality Assurance Program:Process Improvements